Welcome!

A place to share ideas that will enrich the lives of our students

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Kindergarten Chattiness!

Since this is my first year in kindergarten (after being in 3rd and 4th grade for several years), I have been somewhat concerned about the noise level in my classroom!  At times, well in all honesty, most times....it is noisy in my classroom.  Is this normal? I am used to telling my 3rd and 4th graders "No talking!" and they actually work on an assignment without talking.  So far, this rarely happens in my kindergarten room! 

So....I was doing some reading in my husband's developmental psychology book (actually helping him with some homework so he could do his Calculus homework!  Shhh!  Don't tell!), and according to Vygotsky (I think!) children use private speech - which in little ones is talking out loud, to themselves and others - about what they are doing.  For example, when working a puzzle, they will verbally say out loud what we are thinking in our head, "turn it this way", etc...  Well, I know that sometimes my kiddos are doing this, but other times, they are just visiting with their neighbors! 

Anyway, I guess I am trying to make myself feel better because my room seems to be so noisy - especially during learning centers.  Any other kindergarten teachers have this problem? Or is it not really a problem???

No comments:

Post a Comment